Boomberry : The Black Bean Burger

Pages

Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Black Bean Burger

I have been trying for months to make a delicious black bean burger.  It is a challenge for me to get them to hold together.  I came across a recipe the other day that called for short grain rice.  The recipe mentioned this was important because it is sticky.  The rice worked amazingly well and really did the trick.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup short grain brown rice - cooked
  • one can of black beans drained and rinsed
  • shredded carrot - I did 5-6 baby carrots 
  • panko bead crumbs - I added these as I needed them to get the right consistency 
  • 1/2 cup chopped white onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
  • cilantro 
Seasonings - I always season to taste
  • salt and pepper
  • cayenne pepper
  • cumin
  • paprika
  • chili paste 
Sauce
  • sriracha
  • veganaise
  • salt and pepper




I sauteed the mushrooms, onions, and spices together.  Then I added the sauteed mixture to my food processor along with half of the beans, half of the rice, and shredded carrots.
 I pulsed that a few times around.  I mixed the processed mixture, the panko, 1/2 the beans, and 1/2 the rice together in a bowl.  I could tell a huge difference in using the rice right away.  Another trick is after you make them into patties, you can let them set up in the refrigerator before cooking.   You can cook them in a pan or bake them, I did both.

I have to say the bun was not the healtiest part of the meal, but it was vegan and whole grain :)  I topped the burger with fresh baby spinach, red onions and the sriracha sauce I made.  I LOVED this burger and at it in different ways throughout the week.


There isn't any reason to eat boring food people!  Healthy whole foods are delicious and in no way have to  have to be bland.  These homemade burgers are so much better than anything you can buy in the frozen section at the grocery store.  BONUS you control every ingredient that goes in.

xoxo
Jamie 

Blog Archive