Boomberry : Plan ahead - no surprises!

Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Plan ahead - no surprises!


The purpose of this post is to show you a little bit about how I meal prep for the week.  Sundays are usually my day for cleaning, organizing and meal prep.  Everything I eat throughout the day I bring with me.  If you don't have access to a refrigerator you could bring a cooler.  As long as you have all your meals planned as well as snacks, it makes it much easier to say no to unhealthy foods that are always going to be in your face.   I think my approach to planning and prepping is a little bit different than most.  I do quite a bit of research looking at Pinterest and other blogs for fresh ideas.  What I don't do is spend a ton of time planning out specific meals for each day.  My approach is simple.  I like to make staples such as quinoa, brown rice, lentils, or even whole grain pasta.  Once I have some basics prepared in bulk it cuts down on my time throughout the week.  I am the only person in the house that eats a plant-based diet so preparing the majority of my food for the week gives me time to contribute to my husband and daughter's meals throughout the week.

I would like to share some of the things I have planned for this week.  I will warn you ahead of time I am NOT a recipe girl.  I usually just throw recipes together and hope for the best :)  I will do my best to post the ingredients and directions to the meals I make.  If you see something you like and need more information, please feel free to send my a message on Facebook or leave a comment. 

During my cleaning I found these little pieces of paper Audrey typed on the typewriter she collected from Herb's! It brightened my day.


First things first.  I spend time cooking up some basics for the week.  Spend a little time researching quinoa if you get a chance.  I use it often in my meals as I would rice or even pasta.
Making a big batch of lentils for the week is a huge time saver.  I can use them in salads, soups and lentil burgers.

Why not help yourself out and use your crockpot!? I have two and often have them going at the same time like today! 
I could do a whole post just on Sriracha, but have you ever used this?  It is a great way to add flavor to ANYTHING. 


 Lentil-Black Bean Stew
After chatting with some of my friends from Crazy Fit Chicks, Jennifer was making a variation of this.  I like to make chilli in the crockpot, but have never really made a bean stew before.  What you see is what you get.  I used all the ingredients in the crockpot and added the spices to taste.  I cooked it for about 5-6 hours on low. 






I did a terrible job of writing this one out, but here it is! I combined these ingredients in the crockpot with spices to taste.  I cooked it on low for about 6 hours.  When reheating it I will add stevia and almond milk.  You could really jazz this up with nuts or fresh fruit. 
 Think about what you are eating.  Are you eating foods in their most natural form? Steel cut oats are healthy and satisfying for breakfast.
 YUM


Here is my stash for the week!! I did not spend all day in the kitchen either.  By using the crockpot and cooking up my staples, it made it easy to roam around the house and do other things while all the goodies were cooking.



Our cats are two years old soon!! Soon after getting them I happened upon the Forks Over Knives documentary.  Having a pet for the first time, and watching that documentary were major motivators in my decision to become plant-based. 
Meet Barney Stinson!  He helped me out today while cleaning out my HORRIBLY messy closet. 


Thank you so much for stopping by the blog! Sundays will always be prep day around here.  Stay tuned...
xoxo
Jamie







Blog Archive